Monday, January 7, 2013

Training for the season's rides - #2 Weekend lost?

That weekend wasn't good.
The trouble with planning to get fit is that it'll start tomorrow. Without having a plan as such I felt that the lull in the weather would be idea for me to do 60-80 miles on both Saturday and Sunday. That was ridiculous when I thought about it for a second. Why? That's too many hours on the bike over the weekend and to what end? Well of course it would do me good but it would probably be a bit of an over reaction.
So I had a curry on Friday night, stayed up late, felt knackered on Saturday and did nothing. So a load of grams of fat went in on Friday and no exercise on Saturday.
Sunday was a ride to my son's rugby match. Watch the rugby. Cycle home. I thought I would do a turbo ride in the evening but that never materialised.
Ate too many chocolate biscuits.

 I started to schedule my year on a spreadsheet and book too Sportives. I then thought a bit about my training plan at a high level.



w/c


7 Jan 2013

Base (tempo & Steady state)
14 Jan 2013

Rest (temp and endurance)
21 Jan 2013

Base
28 Jan 2013

Base + distance
4 Feb 2013

Rest + 1 distance ride
11 Feb 2013

Base + dist
18 Feb 2013
Sun 24th Hell of Ashdown 68miles 

25 Feb 2013

Base + distance
4 Mar 2013
Sun 10 Puncheur 64 miles

11 Mar 2013


18 Mar 2013


25 Mar 2013


1 Apr 2013


8 Apr 2013


15 Apr 2013


22 Apr 2013


29 Apr 2013


6 May 2013


13 May 2013
Sun 19 Castle ride - 106miles

20 May 2013
Sun 25 Wessex 330miles

27 May 2013



I am thinking of putting something big between the Puncheur and the castle ride. Maybe in April. What I'd love to do is the Leige Bastogne Leige but I've probably missed that opportunity. I emailed Red Lantern to see if they're running trips but haven't any feedback yet.

What the sportive rider needs to do is ride constantly, with some up hill speed and good downhill speed. For me, I'm fortunate to be ok at going up hill - relatively, compared to your average sportive ride, but I'm a coward going down especially in the damp or wet or windy. Where I am trying to gain is in the ability to go a long distance at a steady speed. So my training will be about that. In the tour of wessex you don't really need to bridge gaps that much and sudden high amounts of power, because the TOW isn't a race. It's how fast can you get around. How constant can you go for 5-6 hours or so.
Group riding is a must, slipstreaming is essential, doing your fair share is essential, climbing is essential, downhill is technical and fast, nutrition and hydation is critical, tempo riding is essential.

Anyway, back to the riding. I actually didn't do much on Sunday. Maybe 14miles each way. But, I did them really nicely. A good tempo pace, good gearing up the lumpy hills and a good pedal stroke. It felt great.

No comments:

Post a Comment